Harlem Renaissance

Harlem Renaissance

Monday, March 7, 2011

Song Bird of the Reniassance

(What Did I Do To Be So) Black And Blue

     Out in the street, shufflin' feet,
Couples passin' two by two,
and here am I, left high and dry,
Black, and 'cause I'm black I'm blue.
All the race fellas crave high yellas,
Gentlemen prefer them light,
Wish I could fade, can't make the grade,
Nothing but dark days in sight:
     With a cold, empty bed, Springs hard as lead,
Pains in my head, I feel like old Ned.
What did I do, to be so Black And Blue?
No joys for me, No company,
Even the mouse ran from my house,
All my life through, I've been so Black And Blue.
      I'm white, but it's inside, So that don't help my case
'Cause I can't hide, just what is on my face, oh!
Sad and forlorn, Life's just a thorn,
My heart is torn, Why was I born?
What did I do, to be so Black And Blue?
     Just 'cause you're black, Boys think you lack
They laugh at you, And scorn you too,
What did I do, to be so Black And Blue?
When I draws near, they laugh and sneer,
I'm set aside, always denied,
All my life through, I've been so Black And Blue?
How sad I am, each day the situation gets worse,
My mark of Ham seems to be a curse!
How will it end? Can't get a boyfriend,
Yet my only sin lies in my skin.
What did I do, to be so Black And Blue?

Ethel Waters(1900-1977)
     This song was preformed by Ethel Waters in 1930. Ethel Waters(1900-1977) was an American blues, jazz, gospel vocalist and actress. She started her career in the 1920's singing blues and quickly gain success. She went on to star in Broadway performances, in movies and TV shows.  "What Did I Do To Be So Black and Blue" was originally composed by "Fats" Waller with lyrics by Harry Brooks and Andy Razaf. It was introduced in a Broadway musical called "Hot Chocolates". Waters adapted the song and made it popular.     
     This song has very strong themes from the Harlem Renaissance. It shows a determination to fight oppression or at least raise awareness of racism. The tone of the song is not necessarily angry at but its very sad. Waters sings about all the reasons why she feels at a disadvantage by being black. She relates her problems back to her skin color. She feels sadness at being black in a racist time and makes it apparent in every aspect of the song. Water's feels stuck.
    What really struck me in this song was the line "I'm white, but it's inside, So that don't help my case/'Cause I can't hide, just what is on my face" It was shocking to hear her so plainly state that she wished that she was white. I think she was saying that she feels like she is as good as any white person and should be equal. Waters defiantly wanted to inform people in the most dramatic way possible of the racism she felt. She felt that she was denied privileges that should have been given freely. For example "Yet my only sin lies in my skin". Obviously Waters feels her skin is not a justifiable reason for her to suffer, I tend to agree.
      In today's society we have been almost trained(at least in Berkeley) to be proud of our culture, heritage and background. It was amazing to hear a song that deconstructs our Berkeley training. Waters admitted to being ashamed and embarrassed by her color. This song must have raised awareness of racism and it was Waters own part in fight oppression. This song is so amazing and sad, I feel as though i have only begun to scratch the surface in my analysis.

1 comment:

  1. I resonate with this, too.
    We need to go for coffee/tea and talk.

    ReplyDelete